Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tongue-Tied Dexter

He is a Westerner but he has very dark skin. I am sure he is not African though. He is bald and naturally smooth. His eyes are brown and piercing. His body is sculpted and he is around six feet tall.

He does not smile but I am sure that is not a reflection of how he is with people he knows. I should know because I do not smile that much in public as well.

I have been seeing this man often in my gym for the past few weeks. I have caught giving me lingering glances many times and he has caught me doing the same many times as well. He never smiled. I never smiled.

I was very afraid of being mistaken for a hustler as many people have. I do not want to be rejected just because I look like a prostitute (I have nothing against prostitution though but many men do not like dating them). But I decided I was going to get out of my comfort zone of not doing anything.

I saw him a few hours ago and I kept on rehearsing.

Hi, I think you are cute. My name is Dexter and can I ask you to have a drink with me sometime?

I played the lines over and over in my mind as I did my crunches.

Hi, I think you are cute. My name is Dexter and can I ask you to have a drink with me sometime?

I approached him and he immediately smiled. His face lit up like he was thankful that I approached him but from my mouth I said,

"I just want to say hi and I think you are cute."

I think he was about to say something but then I walked away. I felt I already said too much. I hurried to the locker, had a shower and realized how stupid I was.

Then I took my business card, wrote down my mobile and looked for him in the weights area. He was no there and I suspected that he was in the men's room. I decided to leave.

Perhaps, there will be a next time. Perhaps, I will not be nervous next time.

No comments: