Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kung Fu Panda (movie)


I grew up watching Kung Fu movies and this was long before Hollywood took interest in Hong Kong style of action movies. I am glad that Dreamworks was able to embrace that style and put it in pixels.

The 90-minute story is quite simple and the message simpler. It is about being yourself and believing in yourself. I personally have to remind myself that I can do anything that I set my mind on. I just have to believe in myself. There was no tear-jerker moment but the movie is very sweet.

The visuals are eye-catching and some of the elements look extremely real, especially the food. I am a food-lover so I know what I am talking about. Even the paos are so deliciously delicate. The action sequences remind me of Jackie Chan's. They are so clever and funny.

Jack Black's rendering of his voice is quite skilfull. He is very funny even though you do not see his face. Actually, I was able to forget who own the voices. I did not even recognize that my childhood action star Jackie Chan is there.

This film may not be as strong as last year's "Ratatouille" but it is still very funny to watch.

No comments: