Monday, March 3, 2008

Rainbow Boys (novel)


I have not read a book for a very long time. Here is one book that I started reading on the way to Suvarnabhumi Airport and finished it a day before the Mardi Gras. This is also the first teenage gay book I have ever read. Thanks to Alex Sanchez for giving me a free copy of the first book of his trilogy.

Like most teenage novels, this coming of age story has a very linear presentation. The language is very simple and very current so there is no need to open the dictionary to hunt for unfamiliar words. The physical characteristics of the main people in the story are detailed but these are faces that are common in US high schools.

For gay adults like me, there is nothing new to the story but I am sure it can create quite an impact to teenagers who are still searching for their true identities. It also gives a very sensitive yet realistic view of how parents react when their children come out to them.

It is embarrassing to admit that I did cry in some of the chapters. It brought a lot of happy memories when I was only a teenager.

This is a must-have for any gay teenager or any gay man who wants to revisit those years that having pimples are a big thing. I wonder if Alex would give me the succeeding publications. Hint hint.

No comments: