Saturday, March 15, 2008

Oz 2008: Friday night in Adelaide's gay venues

I was introduced to a lot of men that night. I was brought to Hampshire first which was going to change to a straight pub next week. The place looks dilapidated but I think the local gay community needs this pub. I do not know why they are closing it down. There are not that many gay venues in this city of 1.1 million.

Then I was led to Mars Bar, a mixed staight-gay club. I chatted with many people here. Some are gay and some claim to be straight. It is funny to see 20-year old struggle with their sexuality. It is also very touching to meet people who feel comfortable talking to me quite openly and easily.

It feels really strange here. It is a city and yet people do not behave like typical city-dwellers. They are fun and love talking a lot even in clubs. They are not hesitant to approach new people and enjoy their company. I really would like to return to this city and discover more.

No comments: