Monday, March 3, 2008

Oz 2008: From Sydney to Canberra

We took the scenic route from Sydney to Canberra. My friends and I left the Intercon early and had breakfast at the beach. The sun was bright but the wind was cool.

Peter drove his car from the sands of Sydney towards the Australian National Park. It is huge and its roads were lined with tall trees. I had my hand out the window and it felt like a brook was running in between my fingers.

Hours passed and the temperature rose as we sped our way inland. Some trees were still tall. Some plants are mere bushes as the wind grows stronger. St. George's Lake is awesome. It just shows how much empty space this country has.

So much space. I got used to crowded places. where people are only inches away from you yet you do not mind them. People in Australia are very far apart and yet they treat each other with courtesy and respect. People here may have different jobs and yet they hold them with dignity.

Nobody is really low. Nobody is really better than the one next to him/her.

There is still so much to learn about this country.

No comments: