Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Oz 2008: Aussie Museums

I thought most people who would be in Museums were foreign tourists but they are mostly Australians from different parts of the country. In Thailand and in the Philippines, most locals are forced to visit the museums because they are either required in school or friends asked them to show them around. On the other hand, it seems many Aussies are very keen on knowing about their history and their culture.

One would see prehistoric artefacts like tools. There are also tons of objects from the first settlers. But what surprises me the most is the presence of the gay community in their own national museum. The Mardi Gras is there!

My friends do not know that I actually cried when I realized how integrated is the gay community in the culture and history of this country. I wish my own country gave that much importance to us. In the Philippines, gay people are regarded as abnormal people and sinners. We have no importance back then.

This is a great deal for me. I love the things I am learning so far about this country.

No comments: