Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2-disc DVD)


Let me make this clear: I am not a Harry Potter fan. It is just part of pop culture so I do not want to be left behind.

Daniel Radcliffe aka Harry Potter is growing up to become a handsome young man. That is the only good thing I can say about him. He is still a flat actor. When one student dies, he looks like he just lost his dog which is not even his favorite. What can teach this person to cry convincingly? A circumcision without anesthesia perhaps?

The rest of the child stars are not that different. They are all casted because they look like the characters in the book and not because they can act. The adult actors are superb though especially Miranda Richardson. She has very few scenes in the movie and yet I cannot help but focus on her. I also love Shirley Henderson as Moaning Myrtle because she is just so funny and spooky at the same time.

The quality of the video is OK. It is not really that fantastic and maybe because the producers have their eye on high-definition discs. The quality of the audio is overwhelmingly loud. It is hard to know if it is detailed but it is certainly very loud.

The extras are actually very interesting to watch. It is disappointing to learn that Rupert (or Ron) has quit school. It is a shame that he has all the resources to have a good education and yet he is wasting it. Oh wait this is a DVD review. Anyway, the film is two and a half hours long and I am glad they took away many of the scenes. The dance looks enchanting though. I wish they had put it back.

There is no chance that Harry Potter will appear nude in succeeding movies. Too bad that is the only thing that can distract me from his awful acting.

No comments: