Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (DVD)

It has been decades since the first time I saw this movie and I am really impressed that it still scares me a lot. It is effective because it does not depend on special effects that much. This is a longer version from the cinematic release and I do not know how different they are.

Linda Blair is extremely scary although I am sure she got a lot of help from dubbing, makeup and contact lens. Ellen Burstyn's reactions are just as scary though and she does not need makeup for that.

This is a film that many Filipinos consider a documentary (blame the church) and it is because it really reflects our own beliefs about the devil and how he plays with man. This version may not appeal to people who want action all the time but it still delivers.

The profanity in this movie alone is enough reason not to let any children see it. I have never encountered any movie that is as vulgar as this one.

The extras are not that many. I would like to see a proper docu. The director's commentary track does not present anything new. He is merely narrating what is happening on screen.

I really would like to get the original version of this one because I really think this is still the scariest movie I have ever seen in my life.

No comments: