Friday, September 12, 2008

Desperate Housewives Season 1 (TV)

I have already watched this season in the Philippines and I still find the program very funny and clever. The characters may be colourful and stereotypical but the theme is actually extremely dark and morbid. The combination is not forced though. It makes me wonder: are people really happy with their lives?

The clothes and makeup are great although not as flamboyant as the single women in Sex and the City. Many of the characters use tailored clothes and I do not think the look will get old easily.

The actors are very funny and talented. Marcia Cross as Bree may be over-the-top sometimes but I can imagine such a person existing. She is a conservative Republican--someone I hate in the real world but she is also someone I can relate to. I want everything in my life to be perfect and I do not want to settle for second best. Cody Kasch as Zach Young has a tremendous task of portraying a possibly psychopathic teenager.

The writers are ridiculously good. The lines seem effortless but of course, they are calculated. I wonder if there is any effect on this TV series during the writers' strike.

No comments: