Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Quarantine (2008, movie)

Again, I was surprised at how small the cinemas are here in Adelaide. Steven told me that cinema 15 in Marion Mall is supposed to be the smallest. But then it is only the size of a conference room by Bangkok and Manila standards. The seats do not recline as well.

Steven asked me to watch this a few weeks ago. I researched online and I read some good reviews. I should have kept my expectations really low.

Jennifer Carpenter is amazing. I thought I would see Dexter's sister on the big screen but I was mistaken. On the other hand, Jay Hernandez is painful to watch. He is very handsome but he does not know how flirt with a woman. Of course, his portrayal of fear is a few wrinkles on his forehead and water sprayed on his face.

The story and the concept are OK. The portrayal of the characters just suck. It is hard to relate to them because they are merely stereotypes (especially the African migrants). The token zombie girl looks funny.

The CGIs are very convincing though. It is used in many of the stunts including a zombie dog attacking a man. The sound effects are OK.

I still like Blair Witch Project. I do not think CGI or special effects can top it.

No comments: