Friday, December 21, 2007

Golden Compass (movie)


(I am so thankful to have watched this movie without anyirritating subtitles here in Manila. I watched it at 11:20 PM and I am surprised that even theaters are now catering to American call center employees.)

I had not had any sleep for more than 24 hours when I went to the cinema. I should not have done so. I had 3 calorie-filled donuts but they did not help me that much.

I kept on dozing off so it is hard to make a comment on the storyline. I think it is unfair though that some critics are comparing this to Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia. It is very different. The parallelism between this story and reality is more palpable than those two adventure films.

Of course, Nicole Kidman is as stunning as ever. It is really hard to keep my eyes away from her. I missed seeing Daniel Craig's body. Perhaps, I will just wait for James Bond.

The special effects are passable but not that great. They are not really jaw-dropping but that is OK.

I think this franchise will just get better and better.

No comments: