Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Adelaide's Greek Festival 2009


I have a couple of Greek friends  but I still know very little about their culture. When I learned that Adelaide will have a Greek Festival, I immediately dragged Steven along.
 
It was held on a warm day on Semaphore Beach. The venue was smaller than I expected but the entrance is free so it was OK.
 
Tons of dark-haired people were talking, smiling and drinking. People talked to us in Greek and we replied in English. Not surprisingly, more people talked to Steven in Greek because he has dark hair.
 
There was a platform built for dancers and the men looked really handsome. Some of the audience danced with them. One of the female dancers had the male part and we guessed it is because they were not able to find a male Greek dancer. I wonder if they would do the same thing if they needed a female Greek dancer.
 
I wanted to have some Greek food but they were really expensive. We settled for fried soybean bread drizzled with honey and cinnamon. We savoured the calorie-enriched treat on the grass.

No comments: