Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is Sobriety a Rarity?


I am proud to say that I have never taken drugs and I am not interested in taking them. All of my friends know that I am fun and uninhibited when sober. I do not even need to drink alcohol to get up on stage in DJ Station and act like someone has put an electrode up my ass.

I know that acceptance of the gay lifestyle in mainstream society is not fully accepted yet but then I know that there is progress. But the older I get, it seems there are more and more gay men who are hooked into drugs and prohibited substances. And this does not exclude countries that accept same-sex couples.

And few gay men admit that they take it because they love it. Most of them say that they take it only when their friends take it. They say they do not want to be left out eventhough they know it is dangerous. I have seen on Animal Planet that deer actually run away when their herd accidentally heads to a pool of crocodiles.

And few gay men admit how much and how often they take it. What does occasionally mean? What is a recreational drug user? I never thought putting scars in your brain or burning your septum is actually creative.

I am trying to convince myself that this is only a gay subculture but it seems it is not. The more I put myself out there, the more it is apparent that I am part of a minority. Please tell me I am wrong.

No comments: