Monday, April 9, 2007

On being a gentleman

Transient people. Transient lives. People seem not to care if they are being rude because they think they won't be meeting the same people again. I would have believed this if I heard this 50 years ago but I am not that old yet.

A couple of years ago, I went out with a Vietnamese doctor who is already a Canadian citizen. A few months ago, I met a Dutch guy who lives in Amsterdam. One month after my encounter with the Dutch guy, he told me that he knows the Vietnamese doctor. In fact, they were lovers.

These guys are far from saints and I am far from a saint, too. It is not just a coincidence. They remember me. I remember them. And we know each other.

I have heard so many people tell me that it is unlikely for them to see me again. All courtesy are thrown out of the window. It is so easy for them to burn bridges.

But then it is so easy for people to be somewhere. Plane flights are cheaper. People do not need postal service as much as they did because you can get a message the moment it was sent. The population may be increasing exponentially but man is finding more ways to get connected faster than ever before.

Just be careful with you deal with people. It is likely that you will meet them again.

No comments: