Friday, January 20, 2012

I hate MP Teresa Gambaro

I know hate is a strong word but it is what I feel right now. An Australian Member of Parliament Teresa Gambaro said last week that we migrants should use deodorants and know how to behave in public. I was hurt because her statement unfairly picks on a group of people that do not have much political power in the country.

I know a lot of migrants here who work hard to get a job and work extra harder to keep it amidst prevalent racism in many industries here. I am grateful that there are laws protecting us but the attitudes of the people (especially white Australians) have not changed very much.

I was so hurt by her statements last week that I wrote the Human Rights Commission and a representative called me within 24 hours. Although the guy was very kind and accommodating, there is no provision in the Anti-Discrimination Act that protects migrants. Prejudice has to be based on race, religion, gender, and other things but not migration status.

I let it slide but then I was woken up by another statement from her saying that learning English prevents us migrants from racism. This implies that it is our fault that we get attacked because of our race. This implies that racism is the problem of the victim.

I feel so hurt right now that I really hope she gets all the misfortunes in this life and after it.

No comments: