Friday, March 13, 2009

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


I should be spending more time reading articles and journals for my university studies. Instead, I have been reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" at home, on the bus, at the bus stop, and in the library.

I know that it is very far from being the greatest literature in the world. The language used is not ground-breaking. The plot is not immaculate. Plus there are too many characters to keep track of. Sometimes, I do not know what Hermione, Harry and Ron are talking about.

But it is just entertaining. I could not put the book down.

This book is a lot darker than the previous ones and it is also a lot more exciting. There are tons of chase scenes and dramatic scenes. And there will be a lot of deaths...I am sad to read that one of my favorite characters passed away.

Many of the questions in the previous books have already been answered and these revelations make many of the minor characters extremely interesting. It will be a great challenge for Alan Rickman to portray a different side of Snape and a more sensitive rendition of Albus Dumbledore from Michael Gambon. Creating some moments for Dobby and Kreacher will be extremely hard for animators as well as they are key characters in this book.

Harry Potter has grown up but I do not expect that Daniel Radcliffe would give a spectacular performance. I am sure he will just be a cardboard like Keanu Reeves---they look the part but cannot act the part.

This will be seen on the big screen in 2011 but it will be divided into two movies. With many subplots, I am sure the movie won't be boring. Harry Potter will indeed be a big cash cow for Warner Brothers. And I won't be surprised if Rowling writes "The House-Elves" in the future.

No comments: