Monday, February 19, 2007

Babel (movie)


Most people I know who have seen this movie told me that it is not worth the nomination. For an American movie, it does deserve a nomination in my opinion. The narrative style is well-done although it is not original. I have seen this style before in many European movies and rarely in American movies. Just for that, it deserves an Academy nomination.

The mood of the movie is very tense. There is no point in that movie that is boring. The hand-held cameras are used effectively.

The actors are very good, especially the Japanese student. Her eyes are very suggestive and with minimal gestures, she can convey so much emotions. I think she looks a bit too old for her character though. The Moroccan kids are also very impressive. They've handled their roles maturely and convincingly.

This is a must-see movie for American movie fans. I hope the US produces more films like this one.

No comments: