Monday, April 4, 2011

Karoonda Farm Fair 2011

The Karoonda Farm Fair is becoming a tradition of the Pope-Mejia family. It is the best time for Steven to catch up with people he grew up with. It is also a good time to enjoy the South Australian countryside.


This year, we went to the event with a Malaysian friend Dianne to dispel her notions of what country life is. Country folks do not ride on horses and have chiseled bodies. They are just as ordinary as the ones in the big cities.

This year, I was more confident talking to the exhibitors. I learned more about sheep and their differences. I also got to talk with Centrelink and Beyond Blue representatives. It seems depression is an important issue not only among the migrants and refugees I work but with farmers as well. It seems there are so many things out of your control if you are trying to grow something from the soil.

I took home with me lots of teaching materials and a sore butt.

No comments: