Saturday, May 7, 2011

I Am Beautiful

As a kid, I really hated what I saw in the mirror. I thought I had a sickening face because of my lips and my underbite. I thought nobody could love me.
 
I felt I had to be really talented and intelligent to compensate. I had high marks in school. I learned how to speak well infront of an audience. I went to the gym and had a fit body. I also wanted to be the nice and funny guy.
 
But that did not mean I liked my face.
 
With the help of my friends and past lovers, I started to see that I am not hideous. I will not deny that praises did not affect my self-esteem but deep inside, I still have those little doubts.
 
I think getting older helps me view things in a different way. My new quiet home in Adelaide also helps me to calm down and appreciate what I have. A couple of weeks ago, I took my very first profile self-portrait.
 
Now I can see that I am beautiful and I do not need your approval.

No comments: